Wednesday, November 4, 2009

A Rough Night

I just got home from spending the night shift with Ethan. He had a rough night to say the least. His lungs are still "wet" and so they are giving him more Lasix to decrease his chest tube drainage. All of his "numbers" are looking good, but they had a hard time keeping him comfortable. He kept wanting to get up or roll over. He wanted juice and they wouldn't let him have any. He was miserable. They tried Morphine and Ativan. They increase his sedative a couple of times. They switched his crib to a big bed so that I could lay next to him to try and comfort him and that didn't even seem to help too much. They also tried switching rooms to a quieter one, but to no avail. He was up pulling at his lines and thrashing around about every 5 minutes throughout the night. He finally fell asleep around 0445 this morning and slept comfortably up until I had to leave at 0700. Tim is on his way up to be with him now while I try and get some sleep. Hopefully he has a better day today.

---Allison

11 comments:

carolyn q said...

I am so sorry it was such a rough night. It sounds like you tried everything to help console him. Poor little guy. I am hoping that today will be so much better all around.
(HUGS)

Anonymous said...

Hope you can get some much-needed rest today. I can sit with Ethan whenever you guys need a break. Let me know how I can help. Mom

The Hood's said...

Poor little guy! And poor mom too! It's so frustrating when you can't console them like you want to. 24 hours is almost up, hopefully things will improve today! Good luck.... and get some sleep!

Melissa said...

that is no fun. I'm sure today will be better!

Ty and Ber said...

I am so sorry that you guys had a rough night. I hope that they can find a way to make Ethan more comfy and that you guys have a better day today.

kacie said...

So glad he is doing well. Hope today is a better day. Keep your faith strong!

Zaltana said...

So sorry to hear about your rough night! We always pray for you guys!

Fowers Family said...

You did it, all done! I am so envious of your strength! I am so glad to hear that Ethan is doing well, and know he continues to be in my prayers. I am thinking of you often. Love, Jody

Jenn said...

Poor guy! Reading through I was remembering how hard morphine was on Addy. It would make her really agitated and she would also thrash and try to roll. However, It sounds like they're trying other options as well. I hope they can get him a little more comfortable!

Anonymous said...

One day at a time, Sweet Allison. I hope and pray that tonight brings more comfort and rest for you and your lil guy. In a few days, it will all seem like a blur. Here's to a speedy recovery...and quick line removal! ;o) Much love to you and yours...
Stephanie Church

Unknown said...

I can only imagine what you are going through. We are recently having some big health concerns for Luka and the stress of having a sick child is almost more than I can bare. I instantly thought of you and what a strong and inspiring woman you are. Thinking of you!