Thursday, November 5, 2009

PICU Night #2

Ethan is looking SO much better. He had a sponge bath last night and it seemed to help him relax a little bit. However, he is fighting taking the Lortab. It tastes yucky and he doesn't understand that it will help him. They gave him Morphine a couple of times and that seemed to help some, but it just doesn't last as long. He gets painful he just whimpers and moans. His body gets very tense and rigid and then he trembles. He gives you the saddest look and says"Ow, ow". Oh how I wish I could make it all better.

He is also struggling with a very firm and distended belly. He hasn't "pooped" since Monday which is also causing him a lot of pain and discomfort. They have tried a couple of things (juice, suppository, Miralax) but it's not working. He is actually to the point where he isn't breathing the way he should be. He also threw up all over himself this morning because his tummy is just not moving much. I've been told that this is all common after the Fontan because the blood flow to his organs (including his stomach and intestines) is all different now. All in all, he is definitely showing improvement but he has a long way to go.

---Allison

7 comments:

Melissa said...

We willa ll do the Poop chant for Ethatn. "poop! poop! poop!"

carolyn q said...

Poor kid. . .that's always hard after being on pain meds after surgery in getting your bowels moving again. I sure hope he can get some very much needed relief soon as that will help the recovery process.
He is such a little trooper and I am sorry he is in so much pain.
I hope today is a good day.
(HUGS)

Fowers Family said...

I have been thinking about you all night! I am glad that it has been better and hope that you get some sleep today. Ethan is in my prayers. Love ya, Jody

Ty and Ber said...

Oh that is not fun. Not fun at all. Hopefully he can get things moving and feel better.

The Hood's said...

Poor little guy! Tummy aches are the worst, especially on top of everything else he is dealing with! I am glad to hear of his improvements!
I thought of you yesterday with the refinery..... stupid thing. Especially because I had just read your blog that you were going to try and get some sleep. I knew that would completely disrupt your sleep. I was down there yesterday afternoon to help, and I was glad to see your home hadn't been damaged.
Lot's of prayers still coming your way. Hope things start to "move" soon!

Quinn and/or Lauralee said...

I'm glad he is doing better, I've thinking about you. Constipation is the worst especially in little kids. I hope it all works it's way soon!!

Janice said...

Ethan is part of an amazing family. I hope things get moving soon! Our prayers are with you.