Monday, September 3, 2007

Something Special


I wasn't planning on making an entry until tomorrow after Ethan's heart cath, but I just wanted to share something that I thought was kind of special.

I had worked my normal graveyard shift Saturday night and while I was there I had been informed of some comments that a couple of the NICU staff had made the night we were diagnosed and flown to Primary's. The comments were basically that it wasn't worth it and we shouldn't try to save him and that it was too much to put a baby through. Well, this obviously upset me. I thought, who were these nurses to judge us as parents and who didn't think Ethan deserved a chance at life on this earth. Especially considering the circumstances which even brought him to our family. Well, I had been stewing about this all night, went home and slept, and when I woke up after a few hours of sleep it was still pressing on my mind. Tim and Ethan were playing on the bed and I proceeded to tell Tim about my shift and how upset I was about the comments that were made. Tim had asked me if I had ever noticed anything special about some wooden blocks that I had purchased that said "GIVE THANKS". I had placed these above our fireplace a couple of weeks ago because I really do feel blessed and wanted to remember to always be grateful. Well, needless to say nothing struck me as unusual about these blocks. Tim said that he had been sitting in the living room the night before and saw something that might bring me some comfort. Tim took me into the living room and proceeded to show me that in the middle of the phrase "Give Thanks" is Ethan (givETHANks). ** This to me was just another one of the Lord's tender mercies and confirmation that regardless of what the future holds, Ethan is where he is supposed to be and that our situation is no accident. I know that my family and I are being watched over and that although our situation is a difficult one, God loves us and is there to comfort us if we just open our eyes. Thank you again for all of your thoughts and prayers.

---Allison

**When Ethan was born, there were a couple of names we were considering and couldn't decide on one. We agreed on "Ethan" at the last minute when it was time for him to be flown to Primary's. It was only afterword that we found out that "Ethan" means "strong" and now also reminds us to "Give Thanks".

2 comments:

The Gatherum Family said...

Allison,
I am sitting here crying my eyes out. I am so touched by your strength. I don't know if I could do it...I can't even imagine. My thoughts are with you and you guys are in my prayers every day. I'm excited to see you today. Adrian

Anonymous said...

Tim and Allison,
This is such a beautiful story! Ethan is a miracle!! The comments of others can truly be painful. When I hear these sorts of comments I feel like showing people the beautiful painting with Christ in the middle and on either side of him it says..."I never said it would be easy I only said it would be worth it" Every moment of every hour of every day that you have with Ethan and each of your children is a gift and it is very worth it and worth fighting for with all your might. Keep up the great work you are doing as parents to all of you little ones. Rachel