Thursday, September 13, 2007

We're Outta There!

Today has been a great day. When I arrived at the hospital this morning they were preparing to transfer us out of the PICU up to the surgical floor. When we got up to our new room it was so nice to see a recliner to sit in, a parent bed to sleep on, and a personal bathroom. It may not sound like much but it makes a huge difference when you are there all day. It is also much quieter than the PICU. He actually seems to be resting better.

Today he got his arterial line out. So all he has left is one IV, pacer wires, oxygen, and then the leads checking his vitals. They also switched him from all of his IV medications to oral meds, so hopefully if his current IV goes bad they won't have to even start another one. They leave the pacer wires in usually until they are close to going home because they are surgically implanted on his heart and can't be put back again if he were to have an irregular heart beat. Luckily though we haven't even had to use them this time.

I think Tim will be the one to spend tonight at the hospital and I will stay there Friday night. I think it will be good to rotate so that we can each spend some time with the other kids. They all seem to be dealing with all of this rather well. Again, I just wanted to say thanks for all of the help with babysitting and rides to and from school and sports. It takes a lot of stress and anxiety off of me to know that they are being taken care of and that their lives are hopefully as normal as possible during this time. Like I'd mentioned earlier, there is absolutely no way I would have been able to do this without all of you and your help. And I can't forget to mention the meals that the ward has been bringing in. They have been such a blessing. After spending all day at the hospital and then trying to get homework, laundry, and all of the other various household requirements taken care of , it is such a blessing to not worry about what to fix for dinner. I'd better be careful though, I might have to become a better cook after my family gets such great dinners. Thanks again to you all.

---Allison

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Reading your blog brings back so many memories it hurts. I am glad Ethan is on the surgical floor now. If you would like a visit, let me know. I have a little time in the afternoons now while Isaac is in preschool. It was good to meet you on Saturday. Take Care, I'll keep Ethan in my prayers. Djinni Yancey (Isaac's mom)