Monday, May 19, 2008

Monday, May 19, 2008

So I guess I didn't realize that a week had gone by since my last post. I guess I have been pretty busy.

This last week we took Ethan into the cardiologist to check out a few things that had been bothering me. His oxygen levels have been lower (76-79% at night) and his lips have been looking blue at random times during the day. Also, he is not gaining weight like he used to. However, the main thing that made me call for an appointment is that he had been vomiting anywhere from 10-60 minutes after he would eat. This had been going on for about 10 days and would happen up to 3-4 times a day. Now this is a totally new development and just seemed odd. The Dr. said that he wasn't too concerned by just the looks of Ethan, but that all of these things were worth looking in to. So anyway, they did a chest x-ray and a quick echo to check his heart size and function. Both tests looked OK. The good news is that his tricuspid valve is not leaking as much as before. However, the not so good news was that the Dr. was hoping his heart function would have improved since his last echo was done at 5 days post surgery (and will usually improve with healing), but looked about the same. So not good but not too bad. Also, his blood pressure is still high (systolic around 112-115's) and they would like it in the 90's. So, to make a long story short, they will move his sedated echo from mid July to the 1st week in June. They will be able to check out some more things in debth and will also follow up on his blood pressures. Since the appointment, he has pretty much stopped throwing up (except for when he gags himself) and I have really been trying to up his calorie intake during the day. At this point, I am not too concerned but I will be curious to see what his sedated echo reveals.

This weekend Tim has been out of town. He went to Denver for his cousin's wedding. I wish I could have gone with him but I had my sister's bridal shower on Saturday and needed to stay home. It was just a quick trip. He left on Friday and arrived home this morning. I was able to see him a little while before he went to work. By the sounds of it, he had a really great time. He truly loves visiting with his family. (He tends to get a little lonely since he is the only one in Utah.) He is such an amazing husband and I always miss him anytime he is away. I am glad he is home.



Alison (Abby's Mom) said...

Sometimes I think the worst part about being a "Heart parent" is the not knowing. Not being able to tell what is heart function related and what is just normal kid stuff. I am glad they moved up the echo date for you. I hope it allows you to relax a bit. We're thinking of you guys!

-Alison (Abby's mom)

Fowers Family said...

I miss you much, and say my prayers each night for both your Ethan and of course mine too! I hope all goes well with the ECHO, will try and call you soon. Love ya, Jody

Simmons Family: said...

Ethan sounds so similar to Owen. The leaky tricupsid valve the "ok" function... it's all nervewracking and similar. Hopefully the sedated echo will give you some insight into everything.

Owen's Mom