Saturday, March 22, 2008

Poor Baby


This weekend was my rotating work weekend. My shift went really well and I was excited to come home and get in bed. When I sat down to feed Ethan, I looked at his face and he looked like he had been beat up. I took him in the bathroom so I could see him in the light and he wouldn't open his eyes. They looked like they could be oozing but he also had a crusty nose that the drainage could have come from. Well, I knew that it was most likely an eye infection, but because of his last appointment and all of the small things that were just a little off, my mind began to race and I started to panic a little. They have always told us to watch for puffy eyes and signs of retaining fluid as this could mean he is going into congestive heart failure. Well, these were definitely puffy eyes. So, I called PCMC and talked with the cardiologist on call and they said just to see our normal pediatrician when their office opened and rule out conjunctivitis before we brought him into the ER.

I took him into the office as soon as it opened (I've had only 2 hours of sleep at this time since working my 12 hour graveyard shift). I am glad I didn't take him into PCMC because after he woke up and I could see his eyes, I was pretty sure that it was simply an eye infection. They were really red and they were definitely draining icky stuff.

After he was assessed by the doctor, she felt comfortable that it was just an infection as well. (He weighed 19lbs 10 oz on their scale). We were given a prescription for eye drops and sent on our way. I was supposed to go back into work tonight but they were nice enough to take me off of the schedule so I could get some sleep and take care of Ethan (and to also enjoy Easter).
He is so sad to look at. You can tell he just isn't feeling well. He is very fussy and just wants me (and only me) to hold him. I am so glad that I didn't have to work tonight. Tim would have really had a rough night. Let's pray these eye drops work soon!
---Allison

1 comment:

Melanie said...

Poor little guy! I'm glad it was just the infection and not something worse! Hope he feels better soon. Happy Easter!