Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Growing Up



I just thought I would post a couple of pictures that show how big Ethan is getting (Gavin also loves getting his picture taken). He is sitting up all by himself now (he can't get into a sitting position all on his own but will stay sitting if you put him that way). And for having his oxygen levels in the mid 80's, I think his coloring looks pretty good. He has a cardiology appointment tomorrow. I will post again after our visit with the doctor. I hope they don't find anything surprising. I don't think they will, I think he is doing really well.



This is just a shot that I was trying to get to show off his 2 new front teeth. He is such a cutie pie! He has such a fun personality. He is so happy and content. He is very good to do things on his own but also loves to be held and played with. We've been doing a lot more tummy time with him to try and get his upper body stronger. In fact, he will scoot on the floor if you give him something solid to push his feet against.

We are so blessed to have him in our family. I don't know why this had never occurred to me before but I had read somewhere that the oldest living child with his condition is only 14 years old (not counting transplants). I think this surprised me because the doctors have always told us the goal was to get him to his teenage years to early 20's before he will need a heart transplant. I guess I never put 2 and 2 together that this really is just a goal and it has only been in the last little while that his heart defect wasn't a complete death sentence. With that being said, it only makes sense that any living survivors wouldn't be very old. So because of this, things really are still developing and we are in uncharted territory. I guess I have always looked at the potential instead of the actual reality. Regardless, he is here with us now....... just like he was meant to be.

---Allison

2 comments:

The Gatherum Family said...

He is adorable! I love how chubbs he is! I feel like I don't know him and it makes me sad. We'll have to have some bonding time this spring when RSV season is over. We'll do some fun outings with Gage, Boe, Gavin and Ethan while the other kids are in school. Keep staying strong Al, things will work out. I can't imagine how scary and hard it must be, but you know Heavenly Father's hand has been in this from the beginning, and it will continue to be like that. See you soon. Love, Adrian

Teri Martin said...

There are quite of few HLHS patient in their early to mid 20's. I have HRHS and I am now 30. If you want I can get you in contact with a few older HLHS patients.