Monday, December 24, 2007

Christmas Eve, Already?





I can't believe Christmas is tomorrow. It seems that there are days in life that will never come and then before you know it... it is over. I catch myself always looking for things to come and I think I can miss out on a lot by doing this. I hopefully can correct this wasteful habit.
This year Spencer (who is 10), has finally asked me if Santa is real. I am sure he had heard different things at school. I have always told him that I will be honest and that when he is ready, I will tell him the truth, whatever that may be. Before I answered his question, I asked if he would be OK with either answer that he may get. He thought about it for a minute, and then said that he would wait awhile before he wanted to know for sure. I think it is cute that he still wants to believe (and possibly not screw anything up right before Christmas).

Spencer, Gavin, Ethan, and myself have all gotten colds this last week. It started with something Spencer picked up at school, and despite my best efforts have spread throughout the house. Spencer and Gavin have it worse (so far) than Ethan or I do. It is pretty much a hacking cough with a tickly throat and some mild nasal congestion. I've been worried about Ethan. I hope it doesn't develop into something bigger. I've been keeping a close eye on him, checking his oxygen levels more frequently, listening to his lungs with my stethoscope, and watching his eating and sleeping habits more diligently. So far he's been handling it well. I was actually glad when I got sick after Ethan began showing symptoms. I don't know if there is any truth to this, but my theory is while I am breastfeeding, if I get the same sickness as Ethan, my body will produce the specific antibodies needed and hopefully get him feeling better sooner.

We went up to Christmas village in Ogden on Friday night. We had been given clearance by Ethan's Cardiologist to take him out in the cold, but it was that morning that Ethan began getting sick. So needless to say, Ethan stayed in the car with either myself or Tim while the other one saw the lights and Santa Claus. So far, this is the only real family tradition we have at Christmas time. Especially now that we've moved, it is always a treat to visit our old stomping grounds.

To all of you who didn't get Christmas cards from us this year, don't take it personal. Nobody did. I had a late start getting into the Christmas spirit this year and I've never been good at sending out cards in the first place. However, I do appreciate all of the Christmas cards and warm wishes that we've received. It's nice getting something in the mail other than junk or medical bills. I too hope all of you have a very "Merry Christmas" and we pray for health and happiness to you and your families.



---Allison

4 comments:

Mp said...

I hope you guys start feeling better, also I didn't see a picture of you or Tim on Santa's lap? Haven't you guys been good?

Merry Christmas!
Mike

Melissa said...

I am with you on the anitbodies in breastmilk. I swear my kids don't really get much more than a mild cold until they quit nursing! Merry Christmas!
Melissa

The Gatherum Family said...

Your kids are so cute. I am excited for a little Guitar Hero dueling tonight eh? And I am excited to jam out to some hits of that wonderful decade the 80's!

Palmer Family said...

What cute kids!!!